Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

SpringyCamp 2023 Campfire chat! What's cookin'?

Options
Springy_Will
Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
edited March 25 in SpringyCamp archive

Share your best camping recipes here - whether you're cooking right over an open fire, or in your RV or cottage, let us know what foods you love to cook when you are camping.

Do you have a gourmet s'mores recipe or a tried-and-true method for campfire chili? Let's hear it!

Comments

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    edited August 2023
    Options

Okay - do we have seasoned wood for campfire? It's awful when people burn green wood.

I had a neighbor who always loaded their firepit with green wood - and our houses were very close.

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    Options

Uploaded my scavenger hunt - does it need to be image?

• RMcKinney
    RMcKinney Member Springy Novice
    Options

Banana Boats!!! YUM!!!

• Springy_Will
    Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
    edited August 2023
    Options
  • Springy_Meg
    Springy_Meg Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
    Options

FRUIT COBBLER IN A CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN.

That sounds positively amazing. 🤤 I'm also a big fan of veggie foil packs!

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    Options

When I was 4 and my younger sister 3, we kept asking grandmother to make us camping eggs. Older sisters not on sleepover. Gram called dad and asked what are camping eggs? Dad: in large caste iron skillet cook a can of bacon, or pound of bacon. Remove. Then crack a dozen eggs and baste bacon fat over eggs.

Gram said no way was she cooking a dozen eggs for two little kids! She told that story until her last days.

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    Options

Best Cape Cod camping food (my mom was a terrible cook and liked to cook) - get Portuguese sweet bread from Provincetown bakery and eat it the next morning rather than mom's oatmeal.

• garrett_CDU
    garrett_CDU Member Springy Novice
    Options

During my years as a Cub Scout Pack Master, I always looked forward to teaching campers how to bake a cake on the campfire using a dutch oven.

Campfire Dump Cake
    1 bx yellow cake mix
    1 can of cherry pie filling or crushed pineapple (if you are adventurous, you can mix half a can of each)
    1 can of lemon lime soda

1. Prepare your campfire or charcoal fire
    2. Grease your dutch oven or line with foil and spray with cooking spray
    3. Dump the fruit filling in the dutch oven and spread evenly across the bottom
    4. Mix the cake mix and soda, spread evenly across the fruit filling
    5. Cover the dutch oven with the lid.
    6. Place dutch oven in the fire and place some coals or 17 charcoal briquets on the lid.
    7. Bake for approx 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy!

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    Options

My older son was in Boy Scouts. His troop was known for camp cooking. Fall camp out would be Trash Can Turkey dinner. Get a bed of hot coals about 15 inches diameter and have a spit sticking up in the middle. Get a steel trashcan that has NO paint, coating, etc. Clean turkey (store bought). Put turkey over spit (i.e. spit up the cavity you would normally stuff). Cook a few hours. Butter potatoes and carrots and wrap in foil. CAREFULLY with heavy grilling gloves, tip trashcan and put veggies on coals. Cook another few hours. Can also put flavorful woodchips

• csheldonhess
    csheldonhess Member Lab Coat
    Options

OK, garrett_CDU's post reminded me of my other favorite camping food! You take a pie iron (shown in the image); lightly butter two pieces of bread; and you put whatever you want inside them, butter side out. Then you seal the pie iron and cook it in the fire/coals until everything inside is all melty.

Some things we made as scouts and, later, as adults with a fire pit:
    * grilled cheese (any cheese, preferably a mix, plus any fixings you like)
    * pizza (pizza sauce, mozzarella, a small amount of other pizza toppings you like)
    * pie (jam or pie filling)
    * "weird s'mores" (marshmallow, chocolate chips, maybe peanut butter)

• Springy_Anna
    Springy_Anna Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy admin
    Options

@Groomej I know that bakery in Provincetown and can definitely say that their Portuguese sweet bread was better than just about anything for breakfast! 🤩 (If only I could still eat it! Darn gluten! :insert shake fist emoji here:)

Also, thank goodness for decent gluten free graham crackers (Schar) so I can still make s'mores! I have also enjoyed taking chocolate Simple Mills Sweet Thins, spreading them out on a pan, putting marshmallows on top, and baking them. It was raining, so indoor s'mores were the thing! And we couldn't find any larger sized GF graham crackers that day…at least not from a brand we liked. This worked out well! …though maybe I'll take a page from @Springy_Meg's book and use a candle for marshmallow toasting in future! Anyone know if there's such a think as GF Pocky sticks? 😆

• Springy_Will
    edited August 2023
    Options

It's hard to beat wrapping up veggies in some tin foil and just throwing that onto the coals of a fire. I do that every time I bbq with an onion or two. They come out so good—especially if you place them under the meat. 🤤