Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

Day 2 - The Best Rx is Better UX

Options
Springy_Will
Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
edited March 25 in SpringyCamp archive

Session information: https://training.springshare.com/springycamp/2023/best-rx-is-better-ux

The John S. Marietta Library team provides onsite services as part of a collaborative agreement between the UNT Health Science Center and JPS Health Network. The team was tasked with migrating the hospital library website to a new content management system (CMS) in the summer of 2021. The library had an existing Springshare subscription that included access to the CMS platform. Options were limited due to budget constraints, so we decided to move forward with migrating the website to LibGuides CMS. The project also provided an opportunity to completely reimagine the website and conduct usability testing to improve user experience (UX).

Check out the recently published article; The Best RX is Better UX: Redesigning, Migrating, and Usability Testing a Hospital Library Website in The Journal of Hospital Librarianship on UNT's experience migrating to LibGuides CMS from Drupal.

Have any questions for Brandy Klug, Brook Amen, and Collin Jones?

Post them here! 💬

Comments

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    Options

Love slide 01 Introduction

• Springy_Meg
    Springy_Meg Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
    Options

Here are some questions from the session that we didn’t have time to answer live: 

1. Clara asks: You mentioned UX websites, one of which was “no brain power power required” -- can you share what those were?
    2. Becky asks: How often are you planning to conduct future user testing?

• rahalberg
    rahalberg Member Lab Coat
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you for walking us through the steps for your user testing. How frequently are you planning to conduct future usability testing?

• Groomej
    Groomej Member Lab Coat
    Options

For people who mentioned (in chat) that they had to have some web presence on another platform - how do you handle site search? LibGuide is great - but what about site search on other platform? How do patrons find LibGuide content?

• jduffels
    jduffels Member Springy Initiate
    Options

Thank you for the wonderful presentation! I'm looking forward to reading your paper. :-)

• BKLib
    BKLib Member Springy Novice
    Options

@Clara – Thanks so much for your question! “No brain-power required” was a comment that we received from a participant during usability testing when they were completing a task on the new version of the library website. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide! 😊

@Becky & @rahalberg – Thank you both so much for the question! It would be great if we could conduct future usability testing 2-3 times per year, possibly Spring, Summer, Fall. We are looking into some options that would allow for remote, unmoderated usability testing in order to make things as convenient as possible for participants. Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide! 😊

@Groomej – Thank you so much for your question! Before our migration to LibGuides CMS, we were on the Drupal CMS platform. With Drupal, we were able to create a content type for our LibGuides that included relevant metadata for each LibGuide. If a user searched the website and clicked on a LibGuide result, the user would be redirected to the LibGuides site. There may be different options available depending on the type of CMS where you need to have a web presence (Drupal, WordPress, etc). I hope that helps, but please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide! 😊

@jduffels – Thank you so much, we really appreciate it! If there is any additional information we can provide on our project please don’t hesitate to reach out! 😊