Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

2020 - Using LibGuides and LibWizard to Create Online Escape Rooms

Options
Springy_Carrie
Springy_Carrie Member, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor Springy Scholar
edited June 2022 in SpringyCamp archive

Presentation by Rachel Valentine, Blinn College Library.

See more details and session recording (when available)

Comments

• Springy_Carrie
    Springy_Carrie Member, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor Springy Scholar
    Options

This discussion is now open for comments!

• kclaunch
    kclaunch Member Springy Initiate
    Options

Great presentation and info! I was wanting to know if the videos you included in your escape room was from the box you purchased? Also, do you feel that it is better to work from a box or that it is just as easy to start from scratch to create an online escape room?

• ayang3
    ayang3 Member Springy Initiate
    Options

Thanks Rachel! I have been creating physical escape rooms for almost 3 years so I've been hesitant to transition that to an online format. Your presentation has energized me and now I can't wait to create something using LibWizard!

• Cybrarian
    Cybrarian Member Springy Pro
    Options

I missed the second half of this because I had to switch locations at the library. Such a fantastic idea! How long did it take you to create these? Can't wait to see the recording...

• RachelValentine
    RachelValentine Member Springy Initiate
    Options

The videos we used are from CredoReference - the Information Literacy Course Module and they come from a subscription we pay for. For the physical box we felt buying the kit from Breakoutedu was much easier than trying to manufacture our own. They come with black lights, red lens paper, locks, etc. which are expensive if you source them individually. We created all of our own clues and accompaniments ourselves because we wanted student to interact with our collection and we did not find a lot of ready made clues for college level courses. I would say once you have created one box or activity the rest become easier, I started with boxes so I can't say if creating the digital is easier. They both present their own challenges!

• awessies
    awessies Member Springy Initiate
    Options

Rachel,

I love this idea. I have used Google to create a digital breakout box. I was wondering if there is a way we can access your breakout boxes. I think I might have found it on your library website, but I could not get past the first slide. I only saw access to the Libwizard aspect not the libguide part where the puzzles and resources are housed.

Thank you for the ideas

• RachelValentine
    Options

Cybrarian, At this point I can probably crank one out in 10-15 hours. When I was starting out it took several days. I find the physical boxes take a bit longer because they have so much more ephemera that goes with them!

• RachelValentine
    Options

Awessies We have one activity which does not require you to use any Blinn resources or log in information and you can find it here - https://blinn.libwizard.com/f/GE I'm also happy to share clues and resources, you can email me at Rachel.Valentine@blinn.edu

• sthorup
    sthorup Member Springy Novice
    Options

Our library created our own breakout boxes using inexpensive supplies from Walmart and Amazon. I'm still working remotely so can't share pictures, but it wasn't hard or too expensive once we understood what we needed. And I agree - making the 1st one is the hardest. After that, they sort of flow.

• Springy_Greg
    Springy_Greg Administrator, Springy Kwisatz Haderach
    Options

Hi, @RachelValentine , Just wanted to pop my head and and mention that you can use @ to mention a specific user, that will notify them of your reply!

This discussion has been closed.