Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

2020 - Campfire Chatter - Camping Recipes

Options
Springy_Jen
Springy_Jen Member, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor Springy Scholar
edited June 2022 in SpringyCamp archive

Share your best camping recipes here - whether you're cooking right over an open fire, or in your RV or cottage, let us know what foods you love to cook when you are camping.

Do you have a gourmet s'mores recipe or a tried-and-true method for campfire chili? Let's hear it!

Comments

• Springy_Carrie
    Springy_Carrie Member, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor Springy Scholar
    Options

I'm all about foil packets for the first night of camping, since you can prep them at home and throw them in the coals or on a grill. I usually do a Southwest inspired one, along the lines of https://www.thekitchn.com/southwest-veggie-packets-recipe-23041719 and have with either tortillas or tortilla chips.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Springy Staff
    Options

We always do chili. It's a 1:1:1:1 method (1 can of tomatoes, 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of beans, 1 lb of ground meat or other protein) with some onion and chili seasoning. Super easy, super reliable, and always delish with some corn chips for scooping. It's also great on some grilled hot dogs the next day. 😉

• DianeLS
    DianeLS Member Lab Coat
    Options

My family used to camp each summer, trailer travels. I have fond, and vivid, memories of using pie irons on the camp fire. Two slices of bread, pie filling (cherry rules!), toast over the fire, then finish by dropping in a bag of powdered sugar for a sweet coating. I'm hungry now just thinking about it.

• kwimer
    kwimer Member Springy Novice
    Options

We used to make orange cakes at the end of campfire feasts. You cut a "lid" in an orange, hollow out the fruit, then fill the peel with yellow cake batter (we always used a box mix from the dollar store). Put the peel lid back on, wrap the whole thing in foil, and bake in the coals for 20 - 30 minutes. Yum.

• mreid
    mreid Member Springy Initiate
    Options

"Walking tacos" - an easy first-night meal with minimal cooking & cleanup. Cheese and veggie toppings can be shredded/chopped ahead of time. Only cooking required is heating up your favorite canned chili. Cut an individual-sized bag of Frito's down one long side to open. Top with chili then add your choice of toppings (cheese, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, whatever!). Eat straight out of the bag. Fancy it up with homemade chili if you'd like!

• marmiller
    marmiller Member Lab Coat
    Options

Did anyone happen to get the S'more recipes from the website before it changed to post camp? I didn't think about it and now I'm craving s'mores!

• marmiller
    marmiller Member Lab Coat
    Options

I found them!!! Here is the link for anyone else who needs them https://buzz.springshare.com/springycamp/camp2020-prep/recipes

This discussion has been closed.