Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

Day 1 - New Program Possibilities with LibWizard Tutorials

Options
Springy_Will
Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
edited June 2023 in SpringyCamp archive

Session information: https://buzz.springshare.com/springycamp/2022/new-program-possibilities

The University of Dayton Libraries had tremendous participation for virtual programming events designed in LibWizard Tutorials during the 2020-2021 academic year. This presentation will provide updates from the 2021 SpringyCamp presentation, "Programs Aplenty using LibWizard Tutorials" describing what we kept, what we didn't, and what we hope to try in the future!

Have any questions for Kayla Harris & Jason Wardell?

Post them here! 💬

Comments

• mmussuto
    mmussuto Member Lab Coat
    Options

How long do all of these programs take to put together? How many staff members are involved?

• sthorup
    sthorup Member Springy Novice
    Options

Great information! Can we get the links to view your tutorials?

• amandawalch
    amandawalch Member Springy Initiate
    Options

For the scavenger hunt, did you say that each group had their own set of QR codes to find? Did each group have a map of where their QR codes were? How did you keep groups from accidentally scanning each other's codes?

• kharris2
    kharris2 Member Lab Coat
    Options

Great questions @mmussuto ! It really depends. For some of our co-curricular programs that we discussed at the beginning, they are intended to take the participant around 30 -45 minutes. We usually have a student employee test them out to make sure we're in that range. We usually outline these programs first before building them in LibWizard and so if we've done that work ahead of time it can be really quick to just put them in. In some cases we made short videos to embed (so that added time), whereas other programs might just use existing videos.

Other tutorials are a bit more involved such as the Authority: Research Matters tutorial. That involved creating some custom videos (with scripts) and several different components.

As for the question of how many staff members are involved - that has ranged from about 2 people - 6 people depending on the program and this has been people from across all the departments in the library, basically whoever has had an interest in it! It can be tricky if two people are trying to edit the same program at the same time so that team may choose how to split up the work (like maybe just one person building it in LibWizard at a time, but another team member may create the custom video, or be putting together the outline).

Hope this helps!

• kharris2
    kharris2 Member Lab Coat
    Options

Hi @sthorup ! I am happy to share links to any tutorials I am the owner of (in fact, some of these we have added creative common licenses to, which is super easy).

Below are links to two of the co-curricular programs (one I didn't discuss in this year's SpringyCamp but it was made be me so safe to share)

I can also reach out to my colleagues about permission to share links to additional tutorials and get back to you!

• coleali
    coleali Member Springy Initiate
    Options

@kharris2 these are great thank you for sharing! I am especially interested in the one that was done for ENG101, thank you !

• jasonhwardell
    jasonhwardell Member Springy Scholar
    Options

Hi, @amandawalch! We provided each group with a map of the first and second floors of the library, with some of the bigger spaces labeled and color-coded. On the reverse side was a list of locations to visit and the floor where it could be found. Each of the 10 groups had 6 locations in common and 1 unique location, for 17 LibWizard Quizzes (and QR sheets) total.

What wound up happening was that some groups would scan any QR code if they came across it, but each quiz had a drop-down choice selector to identify the group by number, so it didn't really mess anything up: it just gave us more check-ins and data!

• jasonhwardell
    Options

Hi, @sthorup! From Bridget Retzloff, one of the creators of Making Memes, here's more information about the program:

• jasonhwardell
    Options

Hi, @coleali! My colleague, Heidi maintains that one, and she is on vacation for the next week. I'm making a note to remind myself to ask her about putting together a shareable version when she returns!

• coleali
    coleali Member Springy Initiate
    Options

@jasonhwardell great thank you so much! If you'd prefer not post it publicly, my email is colea@felician.edu - otherwise, I'll check back here :)

• kharris2
    kharris2 Member Lab Coat
    Options

My colleague Bridget gave permission to share the link to the "Making Memes" program as well as a lightning talk about this particular program.

Making Memes

• kharris2
    kharris2 Member Lab Coat
    Options

From a question that was shared in the chat today - in addition to the link to the full tutorial above, I wanted to share that the creators of Making Memes had students create their meme in the tool of their choice but recommended Google Drawings as Jason shared which is a free tool as part of the G-suite. 😁

• Cybrarian
    Cybrarian Member Springy Pro
    Options

Really would love a link to your info lit tutorial for ENG or other courses. Maybe the big one? :-) Thanks!

• kharris2
    kharris2 Member Lab Coat
    Options

@Cybrarian https://udayton.libwizard.com/f/authority-tutorial_SP22_copy Here is the Authority tutorial Jason discussed in our presentation

This discussion has been closed.