Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

Day 2 - Proactive Reference with LibGuides

Options
Springy_Will
Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
edited March 25 in SpringyCamp archive

Session information: https://training.springshare.com/springycamp/2023/embedding-libraries-and-librarians-into-campus-lms

In this session, discover how librarians from three different institutions creatively practice proactive reference in the context of their campus’ learning management system. Learn from three unique experiences establishing and growing an embedded program, as well as the greatest benefits and challenges to incorporating LibGuides into the LMS. As learning management systems become the classroom of the future, librarians can capitalize on new opportunities to integrate LibGuides and practice proactive reference service in these online learning environments, meeting students where they are.

Have any questions for Kirsten Setzkorn, Miriam Liethen, & Taylor Vanlandingham?

Post them here! 💬

Comments

• Springy_Meg
    Springy_Meg Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
    Options

Here are some questions from the session that we didn’t have time to answer live: 🤓

1. Amanda asks: What types of information did you include in your LibGuide audit spreadsheet?
    2. Heather asks: Have you tried to add the Apps in Canvas as well? For embedding articles and videos?
    3. Do you have approximate numbers for how many guides are direct matches versus getting the failover guide?
    4. Did you make any changes to existing guides specifically to make them more useful for the LTI tool?
    5. Do you have any advice or resources for librarians who want to do some low-tech usability testing? 

• lietheme
    lietheme Member Springy Novice
    Options
    1. In the LibGuide audit spreadsheet I gathered data using the following columns: Registrar course code/listing, Discipline, LG exists (Y/N), Guide type (Subject/Course), LTI (Y/N), Guide title, Guide URL
    2. As yet I haven't tried the Canvas Apps for embedding articles/videos. Thanks for recommending.
    3. While we didn't intend to use a fail over guide as I had created 40+ subject guides, a set of cross-listed courses landed on this back-up guide. Springshare's adept technical expertise adjusted the regex characters for this one-off scenario. The result is that all our traffic is now directed to custom course or subject guides.
    4. Prior to launch we retained the look and feel of our existing guides. As the year progressed we have become more cognizant of layout choices within the LMS course shell. We use top nav and have typically used the 3 column layout. In some of our recent guides we have experimented with 2 column designs to reduce information overload.
    5. Low-tech usability testing is a dynamic way to gauge students' thoughts and opinions. We kept it simple with print-outs of a few color screenshots: the LMS course shell, a course guide and a subject guide. The visuals helped me avoid library lingo and ask questions like, 'have you visited a page like this before?' and 'what would you call a link directing you from here to here?'. As I went along I wrote the open-ended responses on my clipboard and kept a tally. I also invited students to upvote a suggestion after I had recorded their answer. This approach could be streamlined and replicated on a tablet or other device.