Have some feedback for the Lounge? Let us know in our Springshare Lounge Feedback Survey here!

2022-06-09: Email sending issues with Mailgun

Springy_Greg
Springy_Greg Administrator, Springy Kwisatz Haderach

2022-06-09, 1 PM ET: Sending emails via Mailgun is now working. There will likely be delays in sending & receiving emails as they process through queued emails. We are still reviewing the situation to see if any additional action needs to be taken. If any actions need to be taken on your end, we will update this post as soon as we know. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience this has created.

2022-06-09, 12:00 PM ET (16:00 UTC): Mailgun has resolved the issue with outbound (sending) emails going out. There will most likely still be a slight delay in sending/receiving emails as they work to reduce the backlog of queued emails. We are still reviewing the situation to see if any additional action needs to be taken. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience this has created.

2022-06-09, 10:05 AM ET: Mailgun has updated their status. Receiving emails is currently functional. They are still experiencing problems with email sending. We do not have updates yet on how emails received during the outage will be processed.

2022-06-09, Approx 8:30 AM ET (12:30 UTC): Mailgun, an email provider used in many of our apps, is reporting a major outage in our services. We are aware there are errors with email sending across our apps. Mailgun is working on resolving these as quickly as possible. We will update again here once things have been resolved.

This affects:

* Emails sent by LibAnswers (not SMTP/OAuth)

* Emails sent by LibCal (not SMTP/OAuth)

* Emails sent by LibApps (e.g., new account creation)

* Emails sent by our support system

* Email Campaigns in LibConnect

* Emails sent by LibWizard ( e.g. confirmation emails)

This does not affect:

* Emails sent by LibStaffer

* Emails sent by LibInsight

* Emails sent by LibAnswers/LibCal if you use SMTP sending

* Public views of your pages

* SMS in LibAnswers

* LibChat

It also does not appear that receiving emails is affected at this time.

Comments

• scaban
    scaban Member Lab Coat

Does this affect email notices sent by LibWizard?

• Springy_Will
    Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
    edited June 2022

Hi @scaban, I believe this is the case. Thanks for bringing that up! I've updated the post to show that. :)

• Kate
    Kate Member Springy Initiate

I just tested the email transcripts in LibChat, and it failed. I did not receive the transcript.

• Springy_Sean
    Springy_Sean Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin

Hi @Kate this issue would affect emails in LibAnswers/LibChat as well. We've updated the original post to list what this affects (which is essentially all email related features). Keep an eye on this post for updates on when this gets resolved!

• amartel
    amartel Member Springy Pro

Is there any way for admins to get an email when there's an outage? I wasn't logged into LibApps and am just now seeing this. I know that Mailgun is down, which might make it difficult this time, but I'm thinking of future outages. Thanks!

• Springy_Will
    Springy_Will Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin
    Hi @amartel - we wanted to send out an admin alert, but those are sent out from Mailgun. 🙃
    Believe me, we tried to make this alert as visible as possible throughout all of our non-email channels.
    We're looking at ways to try and mitigate this in the future.
  • lrebar
    lrebar Member Springy Initiate

How can we tell if our email(s) went through the system when we sent it earlier today? Will we be notified if any emails we had sent did not go through and/or if we need to re-contact the patron with our answer(s) after the outage is resolved?

• Springy_Sean
    Springy_Sean Member, Administrator, Moderator, Springy, SpringyCamp Counselor admin

Hi @lrebar , we'll be providing an update on this as soon as we get more information from Mailgun on the resolution of the issue.

• kmarshall
    kmarshall Member Springy Novice

I'm wondering the same thing. How will we know if our emails don't go through?

• fwilmot
    fwilmot Member Springy Novice

I've tested sending emails via our email form and via direct email. The submissions through the form haven't arrived, but the one I sent via email address has arrived.

I've sent a response out to myself from LibAnswers and I got that response.

• CandaceL
    CandaceL Member Lab Coat

@amartel Since I receive these Lounge messages in Outlook, I set up a desktop alert to appear when a message with the word "mailgun" appears.

• alexhanam
    alexhanam Member Lab Coat

Many thanks for your updating on this issue today!

• Springy_Sean

@lrebar @kmarshall Adding a message here just in case the update above wasn't seen yet. Emails began sending at 1pm, though there might have been a delay since Mailgun was going through the backlog of sent/received messages. If you encounter any issues with this, or would like us to check on anything in your specific site, let us know via a support ticket here - https://ask.springshare.com/ask

This discussion has been closed.